div#ContactForm1 { display: none !important; }

Monday 31 July 2017





In today's Issue

Sounds by Marjory Lacy
Trivial Top 10 - Sound 
Random Joke of the Day
That's Amaaaaaaaaaazing


Today's guest is Marjorie Lacy.

Marjorie runs her own writing group and publishes her own Blog.
Check it out at mauveoneblog.wordpress.com.

This poem is around the theme of her recent work-group "sound".






Marjorie Lacy, South Elmsall Poetry Group, February, 2017.
                                                                                
Sounds in my head.  

My head sometimes is full of birdsong,
who, to my delight, inhabit my garden.
Or, full of pleasant music on Classic FM.

Other times on the Radio or Television.
We like the sound quite quiet,
then suddenly, it blares out an
advertisement or a trail for a programme.

When driving, the radio is my passenger.
But, you can also hear the other traffic.
Even driving around my country roads,
my ears pick up the swish and
swoosh of lorries on the A1,
especially around the accident
black spot of Barnsdale Bar.

Through the day time, the sound
in my ears, Tinnitus ringing loudly,
is masked by the sounds of the day,
But come the night time, the sounds
worsen, enough to deafen you.
Sleep becoming impossible.

My Audiologist told me,
‘Tinnitus has three stages,
mild and but comfortable,
louder and more noticeable,
extremely loud, bringing Insanity!


Trivial Top 10

The top 10 most annoying sounds in the world


  • 10. Electric drill
  • 9. Baby crying
  • 8. Brakes on a cycle squealing
  • 7. Angle grinder (a type of power tool, not to be confused with an angel grinder, a power tool of great evil)
  • 6. Female scream
  • 5. Nails on a blackboard
  • 4. Ruler on a bottle
  • 3. Squeaky chalk on a blackboard
  • 2. Fork on a glass
  • 1. Dentist drill
Oh, and just in case, the top 3 most pleasant sounds are :-

  • 3. Thunder
  • 2. A baby laughing
  • 1. Applause


Random Joke of the Day

I love cooking children and dogs. but I have no idea how to use commas.


Swedish Navy detected underwater sounds that they suspected to be hostile Russian submarines in the 1980s. The suspicion escalated to a diplomatic conflict between Sweden and Russia. It turned out later that these sounds came from fish farts, a discovery which led to the Ig Nobel Prize.

Finish with a Song

Given the theme here is Nick Lowe with I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass, released in 1978 !


No comments:

Post a Comment